It’s no secret that the summer heat in Minnesota can get just as bad as desert weather. Let’s be honest, on days that are hot and humid you might just want to dress to keep yourself cool rather than dressing to look good. But why should you have to pick one or the other?
This week I opted for my most recent find, a cute and breezy kimono that I found for under $15 at TJ Maxx. I absolutely love it! The best thing about kimonos is how many outfits you can wear it with. Pair it with a basic t-shirt and jeans or wear it as a swim suit cover up. It adds an instant pop of color! Plus it flows beautifully and dramatically whenever you walk, which just adds more to any signature hair flip (see below).
I don’t want to make it sound as if Nathan and I are the lamest 20 something year-olds to have ever walked the Vegas streets but we do have a more low key lifestyle. And when one thinks of a 22 year-year old in Vegas I assume they picture nothing but non-stop pool parties and nightclubs. Don’t get me wrong! I love to go out for a few drinks once in a while (and of course where better to do that than in Vegas?!) but Nathan and I had plenty of fun just exploring the tamer side of ‘Sin City’.
We started our days there around 10am, a time that some people don’t realize exists in Vegas. We headed out first thing in the morning and spent the majority of our day on foot (we had walked roughly 20 miles within the two days of being there). So here is my list of must-do’s for those of you brave enough to venture out and into the heat of daytime.
- Welcome to Las Vegas sign– of course it’s cliche but no one really believes that you’ve visited Vegas if you haven’t taken a photo in front of this monumental sign! We got an insider tip from one of our Uber drivers that it is definitely more romantic to grab a photo with your significant other in front of the sign at night. Most cameras are unable to capture the bright lights correctly while keeping you (the subject) in good lighting as well. But if you tip one of the volunteer photographers/assistants at the site they have a special camera that’s able to capture you and the sign very well. They’ll even send it to you for free!
- Wicked Spoon Buffet– This buffet is to die for! Located towards the back of the Cosmopolitan, it boasts a variety of foods from sushi and pho to tacos and a huge dessert bar (including a gelato bar!). There’s something for everyone and you really get your money’s worth here. Nathan and I ate here for lunch since the brunch prices are slightly more reasonable. It was so filling that we didn’t eat another full meal until lunch the next day! Insider tip: get to the buffet 30 minutes before the dinner buffet starts and pay the lunch price. Halfway through your meal the chefs will start switching over to the dinner menu so technically you get the dinner buffet for the lunch prices!
- Nightclubs- Like I stated before, Nathan and I kept our vacay low key and quiet. We didn’t hit any nightclubs. But apparently we appear to be frequent party-goers since we had nightclub reps following us around the entire trip. So although we didn’t attempt the typical Vegas lifestyle I just thought I’d leave a quick tip for those that do want to. Never pay a cover fee for nightclubs! They charge a ridiculous amount and you’ll want to save your money for the drinks that I’ve heard are an even more ridiculous amount of money. If there is a big event going on that night there will be nightclub reps outside the venue whose job is to get people on the list and most of the time they offer a free cover charge. They’re more likely to approach you if you have more girls in your group or if it’s a weeknight and not quite as busy.
- Hotel hop- Nathan and I started our first day off at the Welcome to Las Vegas sign (south of Mandalay Bay) and walked all the way to the north end of the strip. We made it a point to stop into each hotel on the way up. This took us about 8 hours but the sore feet and heat exhaustion were worth it. Each hotel has a different theme and something fun to do. My favorite was New York New York, which is made to look like you’re walking through Time Square. The Shoppes at the LINQ is very lively and romantic to walk through at night as well!
- The High Roller Observation Wheel- We decided to go for a ride and watch the Vegas nightlife from the top of this observation wheel. I’m a sucker for tourist activities like this but this one didn’t impress me quite as much as I’d hoped. The observation wheel doesn’t give you the full effect of Vegas at night since it’s located slightly off the strip and behind The LINQ hotel and the whole strip isn’t visible even from the top. Of course, it’s something people should do at least once but next time around I would much rather admire the people and the lights on a double decker bus ride through the middle of the strip.
So that is my ‘down and dirty’ review of Las Vegas. Overall, we absolutely loved it and even have our itineraries ready for our next trip there (which include a Vegas show headliner and zip lining down Fremont Street). There’s something for everyone to enjoy (even for a pair of 20-something year olds that don’t care for the hectic nightlife or even for families with young kids which there were surprisingly a lot of).
And since this is technically a fashion blog here is my packing recommendations for surviving the Vegas heat in style: Rompers, rompers, rompers. They’re easy, breezy, and beautiful! Also, don’t bother with heels unless you’re going out to bars and nightclubs a majority of the time. Instead, pack the cute and comfy sandals that you’re ok with putting a few miles on.
Well, that’s it, loves! Enjoy Vegas, have a fabulous time, and send me your recommendations!
If you don’t know much about me then I’ll be the first to tell you that Mall of America has been my second home since I was in elementary school. I grew up spending most of my weekends there on the rides at Camp Snoopy (which, much to my dismay, is now called Nickelodeon Universe). Nowadays Mall of America is the place where I go if I’m looking to add few more key pieces to my wardrobe at home (thank you Minnesota for your tax-free clothing).
This week I left the mall jumping with joy because of the fabulous deal I found at Forever21. Recently they’ve established a section in the store that’s dedicated to clothing items under $10. You can literally piece an entire outfit together for $30. I was especially ecstatic when I managed to discover an entire wall of shoes for $5. It took everything in me (and a few reminders that I have a wedding coming up) to not buy every single pair.
So… here are my hunting trophies for the week!
Let me know what deals you’re going crazy about this week!
So like I said I’ll be posting about things that I absolutely love. While fashion is one of them, I must say that I’m also rather crazy about my fiancé, Nathan. So here is a quick blurb about who he is since you’ll be hearing plenty about him!
We’ve gone to school together since 2nd grade and at 16 years-old (the summer before junior year of high school) he finally asked me out. Of course we’ve had our ups and downs through the years but I cannot say how excited I am to able to walk down the aisle to him in a few weeks!
My favorite thing about Nathan is his full dedication- to me, his family and friends, and most importantly, to God. He makes me laugh like a child, reminds me to stay humble, and let’s me know that he’s continuously praying for me. I really could not ask for a better person to do life with.
So here are some cheesy photos of us. And I promise this is one of the few posts that will stray away from my fashion/beauty theme we’ll have going on soon!
I’ll be honest… I was never one to stray away from mainstream shops. On the weekends you could find me at any Forever21 or H&M. Why? Because they have some of the best deals and their clothes are always kept up to date on the latest trends. It wasn’t until I started looking into fashion bloggers and getting some inspiration that I realized there is a whole world of local and online boutiques that offer some of the most original pieces.
I came across CourtPerkDesigns while scrolling through Instagram one day. I fell in love with all of their accessories and ordered my very own pom pom earrings! They’re a seriously amazing statement piece that pulls any summer outfit together.
The price tags on some of the items at these boutiques are slightly higher than what you’d find at a large retail market such as Forever21. But the people behind these smaller businesses are working hard to create a unique product for us that sets us apart from everyone else and I believe this kind of creativity is something worth supporting.
P.S. If you happen to love these pom pom earrings as much as I do visit CourtPerkDesigns website here and use ‘SAV20’ to get a discount off your purchase! I promise you won’t be sorry!
Hello, everyone and welcome to my blog!
So if you’ve read my About Me page you know a little about what I hope to accomplish with this new creative outlet I’ve established. But I just want to go a little more in depth of what you’ll be expecting from me.
Here’s a little about myself first! I am from a small town right along the border of Minnesota and Wisconsin. The winters here are colder than Antarctica and the summers here sometimes feel like a heat wave. This actually works to my advantage as a fashion blogger. Many of my outfits will be able to inspire anyone in any part of the world.
I guess I’ll talk about my style. I really hate the phrase ‘my style’ because style isn’t something you should be able to categorize. One day I might want to rock a pastel floral print dress. The next day I might want to lounge in Doc Martins and a black leather jacket. I don’t think you should confine your style to a certain ‘type’. And that’s why I’m here! I want to be able to encourage you to try new things, wear new things, and help you learn about what style(s!) makes you feel beautiful!
Along with fashion, I’m a lover of Chipotle (or just food in general), home décor (although I have yet to claim my own space), and travel (while on a college student budget). Overall, I’m your typical fashion+lifestyle blogger just hoping to make a small difference in how you view your closet and yourself.
I love feedback and I hope to be able to hear about what you do and don’t want to hear about!
Again, thank you for taking this journey with me! And stay tuned for more.